Crush at CornucopiaPosted by Degan Walters on Sunday, November 29th, 2009
Tags for this Article: cornucopia, cornucopia09, crush, event, festival, Whistler, Wine, wine tasting
Definitions of Crush:
1. To extract or obtain (juice) by pressing or squeezing (grapes).
2. a great crowd.
3. (slang) an object of one’s affection.
4. Cornucopia’s gala tasting event.
After a full day of sessions, everyone turns up in the Grand Tasting Hall at Cornucopia where 75 wineries were pouring on both Friday and Saturday nights. The room is packed with people wanting to taste, mingle, see and be seen and at times it wasn’t clear to me which of the above definitions was the most apt at any given moment.
We didn’t get to all of them, but here are a handful that stood out.
- Black Hills Alibi 2008: a gorgeous fresh, white with grapefruit and nectarine notes.
- Road 13 Jackpot Chardonnay: fruity and light, hint of melon.
- Jacob’s Creek St Hugo Coonawarra Cabernet Sauvignon: a complex, rich red redolent of blackberry leaves, spices.
- River’s Bend 2007 Viognier: amazing nose on this one with a crisp, clean finish. And it’s from Surrey!
- De Martino 2006 Single Vineyard Carmenere: beautiful deep red with chocolate and pepper notes.
- Hester Creek 2008 Pinot Gris: a sweet and crisp white redolent of apple, pear and ginger.
- Hester Creek 2008 Trebbiano: the only Trebbiano from the Okanagan. Fruity and light.