Stilton & Bacon CheesecakePosted by Alexa Clark on Tuesday, December 1st, 2009
Tags for this Article: Appetizers, bacon, cheese, recipe, stilton
Recently, a friend invited me to a bacon-themed potluck which he dubbed Baconstraveganza.
My contribution was a Stilton & Bacon Cheesecake from a recipe I found on Saveur.com. I garnished it with a Spiced Candied Bacon just to up the bacon quotient and to add a little sweet to this savoury cheesecake.
It turned out to be rich and flavourful, and a huge hit with the crowd. But definitely something you want to eat in small portions since the flavours were overwhelming. Personally, I was a little disappointed that the bacon flavour wasn’t more prevalent, especially for this event.
Stilton & Bacon Cheesecake
The recipe for these savory cheesecakes came from Linda Ellerbee’s book Take Big Bites (Putnam, 2005); she adapted it from a recipe given to her by the chef at the George Hotel in Wallingford, England.
- 4 tbsp. butter
- 1 cup finely crushed digestive biscuits or graham crackers
- 6 strips bacon, finely diced
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 4 oz. stilton, softened
- Grease six 2″ × 2″ ring molds with 1 tbsp. of the butter; set molds on a cookie sheet.
- Cook bacon until crisp. Reserve for filling.
- Transfer 3 tbsp. rendered bacon grease to a small bowl. (if you don’t have enough, add melted butter to produce 3 tbsp.)
- Add biscuit crumbs and mix well.
- Put equal amounts of the crumb mixture into prepared molds, firmly pressing on crumbs to form an even crust at base of molds.
- Chill crusts in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Mix cheeses together in a medium bowl.
- Add bacon and stir well.
- Pack equal amounts of the filling into molds, smoothing tops with the back of a small warm metal spoon.
- Cover cheesecakes with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours and up to overnight.
- Run a small knife around inside of molds and slide cheesecakes onto six plates, crust side down.
- Serve cheesecakes at room temperature, garnished with a piece of bacon, with lettuces and fruit chutney on the side.